Thursday, December 18, 2008

My Interesting Day Off

I took the car in to get an oil change after lunch. (Dan and I had lunch together today...Yummy sushi, creamy wontons and a bento box!) Since I had the time, I decided to take my knitting and wait in the waiting room. Usually when I go to a place like that, I try to avoid eye contact with others in the waiting room in an effort to avoid small talk and learning to much info about people I will never meet again. Also, growing up you were always taught not to talk to strangers...so maybe my waiting room anti-social ways stems from that. Or maybe I'm just weird. Anyways, I pulled out my knitting and that was an open invitation for the guy sitting across from me tell me about how he hasn't seen anyone "do that" in a really long time. I was like, "okay". He then proceeded to tell me all about his grandmother and how she used to "do that" all the time. His grandmother also had about 100,000 things of yarn. I was like "wow, that's alot of yarn". I also learned about how his grandmother dipped, gave him dip when he was only 10 years old and how they would use the snuff cans as cups (odd). I then learned about the garden he made for his daughter this year. In which he proceeded to tell me about how when he was growing up they used to sit around and shell peas ALL day. WOW...way to much info! Thank goodness for cell phones because someone called him. Before he could come back to the waiting room my car was done. Hallelujah!!!

Thanks to the waiting room guy, I didn't get much accomplished on my knitting project. Here is what I am trying to make...some house slipper/bootie things. I found them at victoria secret for $50 (way to expensive) and thought I could probably make them. I will need some help from Memaw to finish them but I think I can do it.Later that day, Dan was on break from studying. We were just talking and playing with Tag. Someone came to the door, so I answered. It was an old lady. She was a little out of breath...(the driveway and stairs to our front door are pretty steep)...She forgot something...(at this time I have no clue who grandma is)...So, she turned around and went back to the car. Grandpa gave her whatever she forgot and she slowly walked back up the stairs. Even more out of breath she said "I have a check for your mother for the two bottles of juice and milk".......okay, I have no clue what she is talking about.......I was like "I think you have the wrong house". She asked "Is this (insert address here)?" I said "Yes." I quickly thought..."Who are you looking for?" It ended up being our sweet neighbor across the street she was looking for. Glad I could help and I'm very glad she didn't fall going up and down the stairs.

Finally, I will end with my favorite subject...Tag. He has found a new favorite spot. Not sure why he likes it here, but when we are in the kitchen, this is where he lays.

Isn't he sweet???

1 comment:

Tommie Westbrook said...

Oh! That is too funny! Poor waiting room man - he must've been lonely. It's kind of like when we went to the circus, and this guy came up to talk to me. He proceeded to ask if I'd seen those shows like "Wild Animals Gone Crazy" (I don't know what the shows are called, but you know...). He followed that up by telling me that he'd already looked around to figure out his escape route from the area if the tigers/elephants/etc. somehow escaped or went crazy... Bizarre...