Monday, December 8, 2008

Pottery by J Parrish

The first pottery class I took was called "Hand Building". We took a big mound of clay (aka mud) and made it into something. I mainly made practical things as opposed to the more "artsy" stuff.

Here is a big purple and light blue pot. Fun Story about this pot: I took this class with my mom. When I got this piece back, mom made a suggestion as to what it should be...she said "You could use it as a trash can!". She was so proud of her idea. I was like "Thanks mom"....sarcastically....I know she meant well, but its never good when people suggest using your art as a trash can!!!I REALLY wanted to make a drinking pitcher the entire class. But we never did...we were supposed to make a box with a specific technique....and I turned it into a pitcher...This is probably my most artsy piece. (The mug in the pic I made in wheel throwing class.)
Here was our last project...a casserole dish. I have yet to bake anything in it. But I think it came out nice. The glazes (the color) are so unpredictable....this one glaze comes out either light blue or red...kinda crazy. I got mainly red and the little dots came out light blue.

Last pot for the night. I made this in my wheel throwing class. Its a pretty small pot. But this technique is called a horse hair pot. I used actual horse hair to make the black squiggles on the pot. Its a pretty cool technique.Well, like I said...I have TONs of pottery...I will post more another time :)

Taggie was feeling left out...so here is his portrait...this was my first doggie painting

No comments: